Monday, June 11, 2012

What Are Your Goals?

Today is the first official day of summer for ISD194 kids! I'm excited for the next three months of relaxation, music making, and hanging out with friends.

If you read my 16 Years of Music post, you'll know that my last summer was cut short due to West Nile.

So, this summer, I'm going to strive for quite a lot of stuff.

It's my summer of "Social Life Augmentation". Meaning that on planning on going out with friends more this summer. In fact, I've gone out with friends for the past three nights.

Also, it's my summer of music. I've got a composition camp, All-State choir, and several Minnesota Boychoir events. Furthermore, I'm going to *try* to learn the violin, banjo, and work harder on the guitar.

I think it's good to plan out things. That way, you'll be able to feel fulfilled afterwards.

So, here's the question (and, seriously, if you answer it, your name doesn't show up anywhere and I won't contact you, so please answer!): What are your summer plans? Do they involve music? What would make you feel fulfilled at the end of August?

Also, please, let me know what songs you want to see reviewed, or what you'd like me to discuss!


2 comments:

  1. I've told you my plans already, but I'll be attending two music camps this summer (one in a couple weeks in Iowa for a month, than All-State orchestra camp in August in Moorhead).

    I also have my audition for Minnesota Youth Symphonies today, hoping to get into one of the upper orchestras.

    And Christian, I've done a little research, and there are actually undergraduate degrees in conducting.

    Check out Curtis Institute of Music, Mannes New School of Music, and Chapman University (in California).

    Curtis and Mannes are conservatories, and Chapman is a regular school. I know that you don't want to go to regular schools, but here are a few things to consider.

    1. Music programs at regular schools can be just as good or even better than conservatories, depending on the school.

    2. Conservatories are mega hard to get into (not saying you can't do it, if anyone can, you can. It's just fantastically hard).

    3. In order to get into a conservatory or any music program, you're going to have to focus on one instrument pretty soon. I would assume that would be piano for you, but that's even more work for you because there are tons of great pianists applying to conservatories.

    You'll have to better than all of them, and that means that while playing a bunch of instruments is really great and fun (especially for someone looking to conduct an orchestra, you'll have a huge advantage over people like me who just play one instrument), I suggest you focus on the piano, and focus hard, starting yesterday.

    Not trying to dissuade you or scare you, I'm only thinking about the best for you and your bright future.

    Just some thoughts from someone who cares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Social Life Augmentation". Christian, you haven't been hanging out with me...

    ReplyDelete