Tuesday, April 24, 2012

iPods and iPhones

So I've been thinking, how must life have been without the luxury of iPods and iPhones?

I mean seriously, before sound could be recorded, the only music people could have heard was the piano in the saloon, the nickelodeon in the theatre, and the organ at church.
I think we, as technically advanced people, tend to under-appreciate how lucky we are. I can, if I wish, listen to country, stop the song midway, switch over to dub-step, and switch again to classical music. Imagine the monotony and silence of a world where you cannot freely choose the background music that accompanies your life.

I simply cannot comprehend it. As a person who relies on music for comfort, inspiration, joy, and love, I cannot simply entertain the notion of a world of silence.

But, I think that the music that we listen to really says a lot about us as people; back then, people listened to whatever was playing, but now we have the luxury of choosing the music that accompanies their life. I can listen to Angel by Sarah McLachlan to console myself in my insecurities, to If I Die Young by The Band Perry to think about what I have to be thankful for, and to Party Rock Anthem for that party mood.

So here's the question for today's post. What song(s) reflect your life's movie. We could create a soundtrack to our lives. And, if you read this, answer the question, and like this blog on Facebook and follow it.

2 comments:

  1. Prayer of the Children is a song that haunts me pretty much every day. It is so beautiful, but so incredibly sad. The thought that children are dieing across the world while I'm sitting in my room happy is a sobering thought. But it also reminds me that God is here and listening, and that God will answer prayer even when the world doesn't.

    I love all Boychoir songs I've ever done, with Prayer being by far my favorite song ever, with maybe Seal Lullaby, I Need You to Survive and Blessing being second(except Christmas cheer was a little hokey, and One by One was a little boring). I love most all Boychoir songs, so it's hard to pick just a few.

    I also enjoy much of the classical repertoire, especially a couple double bass solos (Bottessini's Elegie, and Bottesini's Concerto 2). I love Bach's Air on G and Meditation of Thais for violin, Rachmaninoff's Vocalize for any instrument, and Saint-Sean's The Swan for cello.

    I also enjoy smooth jazz (and lot's of other jazz), and various other genres and people have songs that I like. But, I would say that classical music/choral music is the main part of my soundtrack, with other genres mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without my iPod, I sing loudly and happily, skipping songs just like that - I'll sing the chorus of Sarah Slean, then sing a verse from Korn, and...I have musical ADHD or something.

    But a live concert that you can't switch is amazing, too! That's when you get the most immersed. When you're at the Target Center with everyone around you mosh pitting, or when you're in a beautiful church listening to your choir sing - the atmosphere makes you not need to change the song. iPods don't let us have that atmosphere.

    I answered the question on FB and now I can't find it -___-

    ReplyDelete